From its beginnings in 1888 as a leather wholesaler, the company expanded through the generations, becoming an exceptional success story in the footwear and licensing business.
Company’s founder Wilhelm Hamm, the son of shoemaker and leather trader Martin Hamm, is born in Gdansk.
Wilhelm Hamm founds Wilhelm Hamm GmbH & Co. KG. The fast growing company trades in leathers for footwear production.
1900 – 1919
To meet the rising demand of its customers, the company cooperates with several leather manufacturers. In 1919 Wilhelm Hamm junior joins the company.
1920 – 1929
Thanks to sound management, the political confusion of post-war Germany and economic disarray of the world economic crisis were overcome. Company founder Wilhelm Hamm dies in 1926 at the age of 72.
1930 – 1939
The efficient mass production of shoes leads to reduction of the historic leather trade. In 1934 Wilhelm Hamm GmbH & Co. KG converts from leather- to footwear wholesale.
1940 – 1949
The second world war disrupts all plans. Only when Werner Hamm returns from captivity, father and son started to rebuild the company, at first through the production and sale of wooden sandals.
1950 – 1959
As a result of the currency reform and Ludwig Erhardt’s call for an “everybody’s-shoe”, new and unexpected markets open up. The invigorated wholesale company of Wilhelm and Werner Hamm operates internationally for the first time.
1960 – 1969
In the person of Dieter Hamm a further family member enters the company as a partner in 1964. Direct Sourcing methods change the company from a pure wholesaler to a footwear importer and retail partner with an international product sourcing structure.
1970 – 1979
As a result of the ongoing expansion, an 8000qm commercial property was obtained in Osnabrück that was enlarged by 2500qm already 6 years later. Dr.Hans-Peter Hamm, the son of Werner Hamm, enters the management of Wilhelm Hamm GmbH & Co. KG.
1980 – 1989
On the occasion of the 100th anniversary of the company a new company headquarter, along with a modern logistics center, was inaugurated.
1990 – 1999
Shoe Company GmbH & Co. KG was founded in 1990 by Dr. Hans-Peter Hamm and realized the first successful transfer of a fashion brand into the footwear market by way of licensing.
2000 – heute
Within the context of the merger of Wilhelm Hamm and Reno to form the HR-Group, Dr. Hans-Peter Hamm took over the licensing business in the form of Shoe Company, to be run as an independent premium company, which still continues today.